Theoretically, an IT recruiting agency can sell search services for any specialists. But a company engaged in general recruiting is not a fact that it will be able to recruit staff. The thing is in the theoretical base of the recruiters themselves.
We will not underestimate the amount of knowledge and the number of skills that successful recruiters should possess. But recruiting IT personnel requires the same skills plus additional experience and understanding of the specifics of the field. Namely:
- Know the hardware: how profiles, programming languages, testing methods, ux / ui and so on differ. It is not necessary to be able to write code or evaluate its quality on Github – this is already the stage of a technical interview, but it is strange if there are no technically savvy specialists in the IT recruiting agency.
- Begin your journey in recruiting it staff by exploring the possibilities of LinkedIn, special “search” applications for Chrome, thematic communities on Telegram and, of course, studying popular IT publications.
- Check the relevance of the database: specialists change stacks, switch to new technologies and are very upset when they send inappropriate requests. On the Internet you can find an infinite number of unsuccessful examples of attempts to establish a dialogue.
- Be able to sell, because in IT the number of vacancies for Middle + significantly exceeds the number of developers / QA / etc. This does not mean to possess secret sales tactics, but it’s good to understand which particular “buns” or conditions will become decisive for a particular candidate.
- Once again be able to sell, but already um the company itself or the candidate: to argue the prices for the selection, to recommend the size of the salary, to explain the reasons for the job changes or other paragraphs of the resume.
- Deal with soft skills. There is an opinion that hr in food companies now place the maximum emphasis on personal qualities, because team comfort comes first.
- Know English in order to be able to make requests in English, check applicants and communicate with representatives of foreign companies. Plus, to understand slang, humor and current news, most of which are written in a foreign language.
- Ideally – to be in a “party”. Fill your pages on social networks, be open to communication, attend thematic events – work on a personal brand. There are many IT recruiting agencies, but not more than 10 are heard.
In most cases, IT recruiting begins with general recruiting, especially if the recruiter works on freelance and takes different projects to work. Although sometimes the selection goes from technical professions. The main thing is to love and be able to communicate productively with people, then work in any direction will be of high quality and well-paid.